This site is intended for health professionals only
Saturday 1 October 2016 Instagram
Share |

Gastric surgery linked to diabetes "cure"

Gastric surgery linked to diabetes "cure"

Gastric surgery could "cure" diabetes, researchers suggest, but charity Diabetes UK is quick to disagree.

Experts in the USA studied 53 gastric band patients who were taking medication for type 2 diabetes.

The study claims that two years after gastric band surgery, 80% of patients no longer had type 2 diabetes and the disease had improved for the remaining 20% of patients.

However, Libby Dowling, care advisor at Diabetes UK, disagrees with the study's findings.

"There is no cure for diabetes, only ways to manage and control the condition," she says.

"Gastric surgery carries great risk as and should only be considered as a last resort for those trying to lose weight.

"Losing weight through a healthy, balanced diet combined with regular physical activity has been shown not only to reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes in the first place, but to significantly improve control of the condition.

"This also reduces the risk of developing the devastating complications of diabetes."

Diabetes UK

Related story: Cutting caffeine may control diabetes

Ads by Google

You are leaving www.nursinginpractice.com

You are currently leaving the Nursing in Practice site. Are you sure you want to proceed?