This site is intended for health professionals only

Toddler in scare over dirty needle

A two-year-old girl is at the centre of a health scare after pricking her finger on a dirty needle left lying on a medical-centre floor.

Toddler Casey was with her mother Hollie Bromley, 21, and 10-month-old brother Dominic at Tunstall Health Clinic in Stoke-on-Trent.

She has now been given the first of three precautionary hepatitis injections. Mrs Bromley and husband Leon are planning legal action against the clinic.

Doctors at University Hospital of North Staffordshire, where Casey was taken for blood tests, said it was too early to know if she has contracted an illness.

Mrs Bromley said: "I felt sick to my stomach. We have no idea who used the needle before but all sorts of people use that clinic - she could have picked anything up.

"She has been cleaned up and had tests, but now we just have to wait. At the hospital they said they will see what grows in the blood sample over the next three months, then she has to have more tests."

A spokesman for Stoke-on-Trent Primary Care Trust said: "We can confirm that we are looking into the incident and are maintaining close contact with the family."

Copyright © PA Business 2008

Stoke-on-Trent Primary Care Trust

If this had happened in your practice, what would you have done? Your comments: (Terms and conditions apply)

"Here we go again. The threat of legal action by the parents. Where were they when the incident occurred. Responsibility is twofold - that of the trust with health and safety and that of the parents to observe and protect their children, particularly  toddlers who are mischievous and explorative." - V Henry, London