Information originally published by NHS Employers on 31 March 2020.
There are discounts and priority shopping times available to NHS staff to ensure they can access essential items and to say thank you for their hard work during the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
It’s important that NHS and social care workers display their NHS ID when visiting stores to gain access and/or discount.
We will continue to update and add to the list but please note that offers will be subject to change.
Priority shopping at supermarkets
Many of the major supermarkets have reserved time for NHS workers to do their shopping outside of busy periods.
- Sainsbury’s – every day from 7.30am – 8am
- Asda – Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8am – 9am
- Tesco – Every Sunday, priority browsing hour before checkouts open.
- Co-operative – Monday to Saturday, 8am – 9am, Sunday, 10am – 11am.
- Marks and Spencer – Tuesday and Friday – the first hour of opening.
- Morrisons – Monday to Saturday, the first hour of opening.
- Waitrose – No special hours have been announced, but a proportion of hard-to-find items will be set aside for NHS staff.
- Iceland – Monday to Friday, final hour of trading.
- Aldi – open 30 minutes early on Sundays for NHS, police and fire service.
- Booths – Monday to Saturday, 7am – 8am and 8pm – 9pm (7pm – 8pm Chorley and Kendal only) Sunday, 9am – 10am (10am – 11am Media City only).
Restaurants and cafes offering discounts
- Uber – 300,000 rides and meals are being offered to NHS staff for free. To redeem, enter your NHS email at uber.com/NHS to receive a free trip of up to £15 and a £10 voucher to buy meals or groceries.
- YO! Sushi – 50 per cent off all food. Get a code from the Blue Light card website or app.
- WH Smith – 20 per cent off all food and drinks in hospital stores.
- Hotel Chocolate – 50 per cent discount.
- LEON – 50 per cent off takeaway food.
- Las Iguanas – 50 per cent off at locations that remain open for takeaway plus a free drink.
- Mindful Chef – 30 per cent discount on recipe boxes and ready meals. Email email@example.com from your NHS email account to get a code.
Keep checking the NHS discounts Twitter feed for the latest national and local offers.