This site is intended for health professionals only
Tuesday 27 September 2016 Instagram
Share |

Apology after toddler chewed needle

Apology after toddler chewed needle

NHS officials have apologised after a toddler found a used needle at a medical centre in Lancashire and put it in his mouth.

Harvey Mills, aged 21 months, was at the Cannon Street Health Centre in Oldham when he came across a discarded needle in an overflowing bin.

His mother saw her son with the needle and took him to Royal Oldham Hospital's accident and emergency department for an immediate hepatitis B vaccination.

Gail Richards, Chief Executive of NHS Oldham, said that an investigation into the incident has now been launched but she said the centre is "deeply sorry for the distress this has undoubtedly caused".

She added: "We have launched an immediate investigation and I would personally like to reassure the family that all necessary steps will be taken to get to the bottom of this incident and take any action needed."

Instructions have been issued to all NHS staff highlighting the importance of disposing of objects correctly and how to keep dangerous items secure.

Copyright © Press Association 2009

Oldham Primary Care Trust

Ads by Google

You are leaving www.nursinginpractice.com

You are currently leaving the Nursing in Practice site. Are you sure you want to proceed?